Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the mystery on the front cover

April 4th dawned sunny and warm. I packed my camera thinking that inspiration might strike. As it was Monday, I went to Tia Chi class. After class, inspiration did strike and I toured the island on my bright yellow electric bike taking photos.

Surely one of this pictures will be perfect for the front cover of my novel, I thought.

I clicked happily photos of views of the ocean from Felix Jack road, from Village Bay road and finally I decided to try taking some pictures at Miners Bay Park. You know the park by the reading centre.

After my adventure in photography, I was eager to get home and view my yield.

Well, the picture that I took at Miners Bay Park immediately stood out for me. I smiled contentedly. I had the picture for the front cover.

Now three months later I am still very pleased.

Recently, I was looking at my book with my hubby.

He casually said, "Oh, yes, I was meaning to ask you. Whose boat is that?"

"I don't know," I said.

He looked puzzled, "What do you mean, you don't know? Didn't you ask permission before you took the photo?"

"No," I confessed. "Do you think that will be a problem?"

"I don't know it could be," he said.

Well, that was enough to make me worry. ...but what could I do the book had been published.

On Monday, I made a Post Office run. While mailing my book to bookstores and libraries I explained to the Meredith (Mayne Island's Post Mistress) that I had my new book.

"Do you want to see it I asked?"

She did. I showed it to her. She was intrigued. She asked, "Who's boat is that?"

I paused. I didn't know how to answer that question.

"You know that might be our boat," she said.

"Really," I said hopeful. "If it was your boat would it be okay if it was on the front cover?"

"Of course," she said.

Oh, please be Meredith's boat, I thought.

"When did you take the picture?" She asked.

"In April," I said.

"Where was the picture taken?" She asked.

I told her the location.

"No, it isn't our boat," she said. "I think its Mark's boat."

How would Mark feel about his boat being on the front cover, I worried.

This morning I went to the Mayne Island reading centre. It was my volunteer day. Outside the library three dead trees were being removed. Mark is a tree trimmer. He is well skilled at his job. Watching him remove the trees was an event. An audience soon assembled. It was a tricky feat. The trees could have caused a lot of damage. Telephone lines could have been cut. Vehicles damaged. Well, we need not have worried -- Mark safely fell the trees.

My shift at the reading centre ended. As I left the centre I noticed that Mark was packing to leave as well.

Now is the time, I told myself.

What will his reaction be, I worried.

I explained. He smiled.

"A picture of my boat is on your novel," he said.

"Yes," I confessed.

"Well, well," he seemed pleased.

"Is that okay?" I asked.

"Of course," he said. "You know that boat is an antique. It was built at New Westminster in the 1920s."

Another piece of Mayne Island history preserved for all time. Preserved on the cover of Maynely a Mystery. Another Mayne Island mystery solved. Thank you so much Mark for being so understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment